JamBayan

The ramblings of a Third World guitar player

Wednesday, April 05, 2006

A steal I couldn't steal

I was in Manila for a few days and visited Tiendesitas, a sprawling area filled with small stores, kind of like a high-end tiangge. I walked into the antiques section and there, sitting in a corner inside one of the stores, was this gorgeous Yamaha hollowbody electric guitar. I don't know what model it was, but as you can see in the picture it was cherry red in color, had two f-holes, and had a tremolo bridge. It was also kinda heavy but felt nice in my hands. It was obviously old and so when I asked the vendor how much it was I was bracing myself for a high figure. To my surprise, she said it was only 17,000 pesos, and as I tried to hide my surprise I asked if she would go down to 15,000. She took out a pen and paper and began computing, and again to my surprise she said she would.

It was a steal at that price, but, third world guitar player that I am, I didn't have money to buy it with. So if you're ever at Tiendesitas, go to the antiques section and look for the store "Bangerahan." Tell Rose you saw the guitar in the internet and buy it for P15,000. It is in good condition but needs a little work to polish it up. The tremolo bar is also missing, and part of the plastic covering inside the lower f-hole (which I gather was placed there to reduce feedback) is torn. So you may end up spending a little more to spruce it up, but it will still be a steal.

1 Comments:

  • At 5/14/2006 3:40 PM, Blogger janet said…

    Oh Jon, I wish I had the money to buy you that antique guitar! But I'm third world, too.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home