JamBayan

The ramblings of a Third World guitar player

Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Heavyweight



I wrote before that my preferred picks are thin, but of late I have had a change of heart. I read an article in which a guitarist extolled the virtues of heavy picks, saying, "the heavier the pick, the bigger the sound" (or something to that effect). I didn't believe it initially and went to my guitar to confirm to myself that my choice of picks was correct. I strummed a few chords and heard the familiar percussive sound of soft plastic meeting tense steel, and I went away satisfied.

But then in a recent trip to Manila, as I was doing my usual rounds of guitar stores, I decided to buy some picks. The store (JB Music Mart, if I remember correctly), however, didn't have light picks and offered me some heavies; I hesitated for a while and then told myself, what the heck, I'll try them. In the back of my mind I knew it was a mistake, but for 15 pesos apiece it was not going to be an expensive mistake.

When I got back home to Davao City I tried my new picks, and what I heard blew me away. Instead of sounding harsh as I had feared, the heavy picks gave very bright, very chunky, very percussive, very full, and very heavy sounds. No matter if I picked or strummed, the heavy gauged plastic gave a richer sound. It even made me play a little bit better because I had more control of each note.

So now I'm packing heavy picks, and so should you.

6 Comments:

  • At 5/10/2006 4:14 AM, Blogger Rev. Ronald J. Hatton said…

    Always going "middle of the road", I have consistently gone with medium picks, Jon! :-) Thin picks split on me a lot, and thick picks always felt too thick in my hand. After reading this, though, I'll have to go out and get some thick picks!

     
  • At 5/10/2006 8:19 AM, Blogger Gelo said…

    Jon,
    So sorry ngayon ko lang nadagdag sa links ko blog mo.
    Please visit Nick's blog (www.mamutong.com) and read April 27 post.

     
  • At 5/10/2006 2:48 PM, Blogger jonjoaquin said…

    fr. ron! i used to be a medium guy but turned to thins some time ago, thinking they were better. hey, send me some of those thick picks you're buying!

    pete: thanks for the heads up, and thanks for telling nick my identity. i actually didn't know na wala palang pangalan ang web edition ng columns namin, so i'll have to have that fixed.

     
  • At 5/11/2006 5:23 PM, Blogger Avat@r said…

    my personal favorite is the ibanez heavy picks...it just feels so right...of course a medium pick works well on acoustics but sometimes i hate the plastic pick scapes it produces

     
  • At 5/11/2006 7:19 PM, Blogger jonjoaquin said…

    hi george. i'll have to score myself some ibanez heavies. do you think they have big equilateral ones available?

     
  • At 5/13/2006 12:16 PM, Blogger Avat@r said…

    i think they do, but i haven't tried the big ones, it hampers my playing style i think unless of course all i do is strum

     

Post a Comment

<< Home