JamBayan

The ramblings of a Third World guitar player

Thursday, June 29, 2006

Jammeeting


Last Monday night wasn’t exactly the most auspicious of nights in which to hold our second meeting, but the members of Guitar Guild Davao went ahead and jammed at the Elevation bar along Jacinto Extension here in Davao City. It was raining a little heavily that night, and outside the Mindanao Daily Mirror office the water was beginning to rise for the usual flooding that hits the area whenever a downpour comes. To make matters worse for me, I had just come from a half-crisis in which a warehouse at the same compound on which our apartment building stands burned down that afternoon, and I had spent a few anxious hours worrying that our earthly belongings, few as they were, would go up in smoke.

I was therefore a little frazzled when I arrived at Elevation: wet from the rain, tired from work, and still worried about the fire. But seeing the GGD guys lifted my spirits, and the thought that some of them may have had worse days kept me in check.

There were only a few of us but the enthusiasm was still high. We started with me showing off my Line 6 DL4 Delay Modeler, quickly followed by Dante Arevalo’s enlightening presentation/instruction on the blues. The rest of the night was devoted to jamming: it was a great ending to an otherwise bad day!

2 Comments:

  • At 7/01/2006 6:53 AM, Blogger Gelo said…

    Wow! Goodluck to you guys. I pray that one day Roger Barrizo, guitar whiz of our time, would play again. He quit since his partner Boy Mendoza died after one of the grenande bombings in the city during the 80s.

     
  • At 7/02/2006 12:48 AM, Blogger Gali said…

    Go go Go Jon! Sail on. Today's "few" would multiply fast as time flies.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home